Merging schools frequently asked questions

Posted on: No Comments

Next steps

My school has been advised that the Minister’s final decision is to merge. What happens now?

A change manager and residual agent will be appointed and the decision to merge will be gazetted. The change manager will work with the Board to develop a timeline and approach for implementing the decision.

What is the role of the change manager?

The change manager ensures that the closure or merger of the school is well managed operationally. They work with the Board and Ministry to plan and implement the process. This includes:

  • supporting the Board with its role
  • working with the community, in particular parents of children at the school to ensure they have enough information and support to make decisions about where their children will go to school and what help they will need
  • ensuring that all employment documentation is up to date and accurate
  • ensuring that the school’s asset register is up to date
  • ensuring that the school’s resources are distributed to other schools in the network (or the continuing school)
    school buildings are left clean, tidy and secure and the keys handed over to the Ministry following a closure or merger.

What is the role of the residual agent?

The residual agent oversees the school’s finances before the date of closure or merger and then settles the school’s accounts (paying final invoices etc.) following the date of closure or merger. They also prepare draft financial statements for audit and present them to the Office of the Auditor General. The Board pays for the services of its residual agent.

What help will the new board of a merged school get with governance?

The Ministry will assist the appointed Board as will NZSTA. The Ministry also pays for a Governance Facilitator to be available to help the Board as it sets out to establish the newly merged school.


Wellbeing and transitions

What support will be available for students, parents, teachers and families?

The Ministry of Education will provide extensive support to parents and schools affected by decisions to close or merge to ensure a smooth transition for children, their families and staff.Each school has been given a package that outlines the support that will be available and how to access that support.

The Ministry will work with every school to ensure education is not compromised throughout the process and that staff and families are well informed each step of the way.
Parents can find more information on this website.
Call: 0800 746 338

What support is there going to be to help children through this process?

Schools will develop a plan to ensure the transition for students is well managed.

When schools close or merge, EDI (Education Development Initiative) funding is available to support students with the transition to their next school.

This could be used to hold a pre-change ceremony for the school, school visits if a cohort of children are moving to a particular school, setting up buddy support for children at their next school who they could be in contact with before the change and parent meetings with the staff of the next school.

The change manager will support the implementation of the change, including advising on student and family support.

Why did my school have to go through this process?

The face and make-up of greater Christchurch has, and will continue to change dramatically due to the earthquakes, and the education sector must respond to those changes.

There were already around 5,000 places available in schools in greater Christchurch before the earthquakes, and 4,300 students have not re-enrolled, meaning there are now 9,300 places available – that’s roughly equivalent to the entire student population of Gisborne.

The aftermath of the earthquakes has required us to have a look at all the schools across greater Christchurch and see what we could do better.

We have looked at not only earthquake damage, but also roll size, population movement and projected growth, building issues, and what opportunities existed to create better, more modern schools.

We have consulted with parents, teachers and wider school communities throughout this process.

We made the consultation time frames nearly twice as long as is required and provided schools with extra support including: a Teachers Only Day, an independent facilitator to undertake consultation and prepare the submissions on behalf of the Board of Trustees and provision for a reliever teacher one day a week. We also set up an online community forum.

The Education Minister also visited the most affected schools and heard directly from parents, teachers, students and wider school communities.

We acknowledge this process has been unsettling for schools and their communities and appreciate the time and effort Boards, staff and school communities have put into considering proposals and providing feedback.

At the end of this process, greater Christchurch will have one of the best and most modern schooling networks in the country that will serve communities for many years to come.

Why are you building new schools when you are closing existing schools?

Proposals to close schools are based around issues with people movement and land and building damage where:

  • the ground is prone to liquefaction or lateral spreading
  • it’s not economic to repair or maintain the buildings
  • rolls are low
  • there isn’t likely to be future population growth.

Proposals to open new schools are made where additional schools are required.  This is in places where people are moving to, and where changes to schooling provision are needed. In addition a number of schools are being rebuilt and some relocated.

What does recapitation or a change of class mean?

A recapitation is when a year 1-6 school becomes a year 1-8 school.

A change of class is when a primary school is able to enrol secondary aged students or a secondary school is able to enrol primary or intermediate aged students.



What is an Appointed Board?

The Minister has agreed that continuing schools in a merger will be governed by an Appointed Board of Trustees.

Expressions of interest for the Appointed Board will be sought from existing trustees from both/all merging schools in mid-June. If there is not enough interest, expressions of interest will be sought more widely.

The Appointed Board will have representation from all schools involved in the merger.

The Appointed Board will have an independent chair to ensure that the views of both/all communities involved in the merger are fairly represented in the decisions for the newly merged school.

The Appointed Board continues to govern the continuing school whilst making plans for the newly merged school, including appointing the principal and staff. Sometimes the Appointed Board will establish a subcommittee to help with governing the continuing school.

What’s the difference between an appointed and an establishment board?

An Appointed Board is put in place to govern the continuing school and the newly merged school until an elected board of trustees is in place which must be within three months of the date of merger.

Appointed Boards can have any number of members, although they usually have between 5-8 members as this is a good size for a working group.

An Establishment Board of Trustees is put in place to establish and govern a new school. Establishment Boards must have five members.

When will the Boards of the newly merged school have to submit their charter?

Each Board, with the support of the governance facilitator, will have responsibility for setting a realistic timeline for developing and submitting its ‘initial charter’ for the newly merged school to the Ministry. The ‘initial charter’ will provide guidance to the newly merged school in its first year of operation and would include an annual section outlining objectives and targets for student achievement in 2014.


Enrolment schemes and enrolling students

Why do schools have enrolment schemes?

Enrolment schemes (home zones) are established to ensure that all students have the right of access to a ‘reasonably convenient school’ in relation to where they live.

Special temporary enrolment schemes will be put in place for some schools following the announcement of the final decisions to ensure students in affected schools and their families have certainty about where students can enrol.

Enrolment schemes are likely to be reviewed in 2014. The Ministry will work with the Boards of schools where enrolment schemes are required to change so that these are implemented in a timely way.

What is a special temporary enrolment scheme?

A special temporary enrolment is an enrolment scheme implemented by the Ministry of Education under the Canterbury Earthquake (Education Act) Order 2011.

How long will the Special Temporary Enrolment scheme be in place?

Special temporary enrolment schemes implemented because of schools closing at the end of 2013 will be replaced by a normal enrolment scheme during 2014. These normal enrolment schemes will be developed by the board of trustees which will consult with neighbouring schools and community.

What if the normal enrolment scheme that replaces the special temporary enrolment scheme in 2014 is different? Will my child have to change schools again if they are no longer in zone?

No – once you are enrolled at the school you can remain at the school until you choose to enrol elsewhere.

How do I find out which school I can enrol my child at?

You can find schools close to where you live by searching on the TKI website using the following link:

Or if you would prefer, you can phone the Ministry of Education contact centre on 0800 746 338 where someone will be able to help you with your query.

My local schools are merging and my child starts school next year. How do I find out about which school I can enrol my child at?

The special temporary enrolment schemes take effect from the date of the Minister’s announcements. This gives you options about where you can enrol your child. For example, if you live in an area previously covered by a merging school, you have alternative options available. Of the following list, it will be either one school with a special temporary enrolment scheme, or any school without an enrolment scheme.

Merging Schools

Type of enrolment scheme

Central New Brighton, Freeville and North New Brighton schools Freeville has special temporary scheme
Windsor School Burwood School Special temporary scheme
Special temporary scheme
Lyttelton Main School Lyttelton West School Special temporary scheme
Special temporary scheme
Woolston School Phillipstown School No enrolment scheme
Discovery One Unlimited Paenga Tawhiti Enrolment scheme – to be amended using normal consultation process

NOTE: You can enrol your child at any state school that does not have an enrolment scheme.

My child turns five this year.  The local school I would have enrolled my child at is merging – I don’t know which school I should enrol my child at?

See answer above.

I’ve just moved into the area near a merging school, but I don’t want to enrol my child at the merging school for a few months and then have to change to another school next year – what are my options?

See answer above.

I have a child enrolled at a merging school and another child yet to start school.  We currently live out of zone, will my second child be able to enrol at the newly merged school?

The special temporary enrolment schemes take effect from the date of the Minister’s announcements. These special temporary enrolment schemes have a provision that ensures siblings (not yet at school) are able to enrol at the newly merged school when they turn five.

What if the children all enrol at different schools?

Parents are free to enrol their child at any school where they meet the eligibility requirements of the enrolment zone, special character and/or maximum roll. Parents can enrol their child in any school that does not have an enrolment scheme in place.



When can permanent staff be appointed to a merging school?

The Appointed Board will be appointing permanent staff for the newly merged school. There are clear processes the Appointed Board must follow. The process is in the relevant Collective Employment Agreements and individual employment agreements. The change manager will support the Boards involved with this process.
No other permanent appointments can be made at schools that are closing or merging.

When am I going to know if my position is safe?

There are clear processes for school mergers and closures and school staff have clear rights and obligations. These rights are detailed in the relevant Collective Employment Agreements.

I am a teacher at a satellite unit but on a school site marked for merger. What does that mean for me?

You will need to work with your Principal and the Board regarding your employment.

What support is available to staff during this time?

Staff can get support from their Board of Trustees, and (if they are members) from their union (NZEI, PPTA, SFWU, AWU, PSA, SPANZ).  The Ministry will be able to provide information about further support that may be available.

What happens when teachers from schools that are closing or merging, need to have their registration signed off in 2014 or later, but they are in a different school, or are not currently employed?

There are a number of ways that the situation can be dealt with depending on the specifics of the teacher.

  • Some teachers will be employed as a teacher in another school (or centre) when their practising certificate is due to expire and the endorser will then be the teacher’s current professional leader.
  • The Council can process applications for practising certificates up to 6 months before the practising certificate expiry date.
  • Teachers who want further information should contact the Teachers’ Council on:
    Phone: 04 471 0852

Can a teacher from a school that is closing or merging whose position has been disestablished apply for one of the 2014 Principals’ and Teachers’ Study Awards through TeachNZ?

No, they can’t apply. However, the teacher can apply for retraining under the surplus staffing provisions in the respective employment agreements.

Who can apply to the Christchurch Earthquake Teacher Training Support Fund?

To apply to this fund, you must:

  • be a fully registered Teacher/Principal employed in a permanent or fixed term position (12 months or longer) in a greater Christchurch state or state integrated school
  • have the support of your board of trustees and principal (applicants from merging schools can apply but will require new principal and board approval when appointments in the newly merged school have been made).

Further information on the Christchurch Earthquake Teacher Training Support Fund including application forms, have been sent to all greater Christchurch schools and is on the TeachNZ website –

What’s the difference between the Principals’ and Teacher study awards, the Christchurch Earthquake Teacher Training Support Fund and retraining?

Study Awards are offered through TeachNZ and are open to all principals and teachers employed in a permanent or fixed term position (12 months or longer) in New Zealand. See Teachers’ Study Leave Award for further information.

The Christchurch Earthquake Teacher Training Support Fund is available for teachers and principals in a permanent or fixed term position (12 months or longer) in greater Christchurch schools only. There are 20 available and the study release time is four hours a week (this can be used flexibly throughout the school year to suit your study requirements as long as it is in agreement with your school) and there is a contribution of up to $1600 towards course fees. Information about the training support fund will be sent to all greater Christchurch schools and will be available on the TeachNZ website in early July. Teachers who opt for supernumerary redeployment can apply with the support of both employing boards.

Retraining to a course approved by the Ministry of Education, is one of the surplus staffing options in the respective employment agreements that may be available to a teacher from a school that is closing or merging whose position has been disestablished. Union representatives can provide information about surplus staffing or retraining options.


What’s happening with the building programme?

The Ministry is developing a work programme that will prioritise and sequence building renewal and is confident this can be managed within the required timeframes. It has already prioritised rebuilding and repair work for over 30 schools over the next four years.

What happens to the land and buildings after a school is closed or merged with another school on another site?

When a school is closed or merged with another school on another site, the Ministry must decide whether it needs the land for another education based purpose.  If it is surplus to education requirements it is entered into the disposal process.

What happens to the property while it is in the disposal process?

The agency who owns the land continues to be responsible for it until it is disposed of. During this period, the Ministry may allow the property and any buildings to be used by community groups for education purposes.

If the Ministry of Education allows its surplus sites to be used by community groups while the site is in disposal, why are there run down school sites around attracting vandalism?

Buildings that are not used by third parties are the responsibility of the Ministry. An independent organisation is employed to manage the upkeep of the property until it is disposed of. The Ministry will work with LINZ to actively manage the disposal process of school sites to ensure, where practicable, they do not remain empty for long periods of time.

The Ministry ensures the buildings are secured, maintained in a useable state and any vandalism is fixed promptly.
Run down school sites only arise when the Ministry has disposed of the land to another party and that party stops maintaining the property and allows it to deteriorate.

Why doesn’t the Ministry keep hold of its land “just in case”?

There are costs associated with holding land which make it too expensive to hold land for the sake of it.

What happens when land owned by government departments is disposed of?

The disposal process is set out in the Public Works Act 1982. There are five sequential steps in this process:

  1. The site can be transferred to another government department or territorial local authority if they require it for another public work.
  2. Offer the property back to the previous owner (or their beneficial successors).
  3. If the property forms part of a deed of settlement, the iwi concerned has first right of refusal. If they don’t exercise that right the property is placed on the open market.
  4. If the property is not subject to a deed of settlement the property is assessed for any other related Treaty of Waitangi claims under the Maori Protection Mechanism or the Sites of Significance process (SoS). If any claim is successful, then usually the property will be ‘landbanked’ and purchased by the Office of Treaty Settlements for Treaty claims.
  5. If the property is not land banked it is placed on the open market.

Does the Ministry get any money for selling its land?

Yes.  Regardless of who the land is transferred to, it is transferred at current market value, meaning that the value of the land is established by valuation and it transfers at that price. The Ministry uses the proceeds from the sale of its surplus sites to offset the cost of the work programme that has been agreed with Government.

How long does that process take?

The Public Works Act disposal process can take a number of years to complete. This is because some land has been in Crown ownership for many years and it can be difficult to trace descendants of former owners’ who the Crown must offer the land back to, as stated in the Public Works Act 1982.

If the disposal process takes so long and is so complex why have such a process and why not just sell the land to the highest bidder?

For many people land has a special significance. Under the Public Works Act 1982 the Crown has powers to force people to sell their land to it regardless of how important it is to them. While this doesn’t happen very often, if land was taken compulsorily, it is only right to offer it back to the former owner or their descendants if it is no longer required for public work.


Finance and assets

What is EDI funding?

When schools close or merge, additional resourcing called Education Development Initiative (EDI), paid from the savings created by the reorganisation, is available for projects to strengthen students’ achievement.

In both closure and mergers, the school where the student next enrols is eligible to access EDI funding. The receiving school must sign a Memorandum of Agreement with the Ministry about accepting the funding and then submit a plan to their local Ministry for how the EDI funding will be used to enhance student achievement. The receiving school has six years in which to use this funding.

A decision has been made to retain EDI funding to the greater Christchurch schools with students enrolled in announced closures or mergers. This means that if students leave greater Christchurch to go to school elsewhere, their new school does not receive EDI funding.

What happens to our assets?

When a school closes its assets and debts are transferred to the Crown. If a school is closing, it is usual for the physical assets to be distributed among the schools in the local area. If a school is merging, the physical assets of the school go to the continuing school. Note that assets must remain within the state education system as they are Crown assets – they cannot be ‘given’ to individuals.

Assets that have been gifted or are community-owned are returned, where possible, to the community which provided them.

Any funds the PTA has are considered part of the Board’s assets.

The change manager will help the Boards of closing and merging schools to work through all this process.

What will happen to the artefacts that are so special to our school community?

Some schools have artefacts, such as memorial gates, cups or awards that have special significance to the school and its community. The Ministry and change manager will work with schools to identify these artefacts, discuss what options there are and what the school/community preference is, working to ensure where possible that happens.

What about our Trust?

A Board that has received and holds in a Trust any property (gifts for funding scholarships, or for other education purposes) may apply to the Public Trustee to devise a scheme to modify the Trust in light of the closure or merger. The change manager will help Boards work through this.

What happens to the banked staffing in a closure or merger?

In a merger, banked staffing from the merging school will be credited or debited as appropriate to the continuing schools banked staffing.

In a closure, banked staffing whether in credit or debit, will be returned to the Crown.

What roll will the newly merged school be staffed on?

The provisional staffing roll for the first year of operation for the newly merged schools will be based on the rolls of the merging schools less any information change managers have about numbers of students intending to enrol in schools other than the newly merged schools.

Many families struggle to afford the cost of uniforms normally but now some families will have to buy new uniforms for 2014 when they weren’t expecting it. Can schools use EDI funding to buy or subsidise the cost of buying uniforms?

Education Development Initiative (EDI) funding can be used to subsidise the design and/or purchase of uniforms if receiving schools or the newly merged schools consider that is the best way to use the funding to support students and their families with the transition. EDI funding cannot be used by any closing, merging or continuing schools to purchase or subsidise the cost of uniforms. It is the role of the board of the next school that the students enrol in that oversees their uniform requirements.

Closing, merging or continuing schools that have funding in trust accounts, fund raising accounts, or parent body accounts can use it to help their families purchase uniforms for the schools their students are going to attend next and should talk with their change manager or specialist senior advisor to work out how to make this happen.

We understand that buying uniforms is a cost that many families struggle with. Schools will find various ways to support families, including one or more of:

  • applying to Red Cross or other community groups for funding to subsidise uniforms
  • allowing students to continue to wear the uniform of their old school until  the child out grows it and/or families can afford to replace it
  • allowing students to purchase and wear part of the receiving or new school’s uniform (eg jersey, skirt) until families can afford to purchase the rest
  • doing a drive for second hand uniforms from past and current students and families
  • phasing in the uniform in the newly merged school so students don’t need to wear the new uniform for a specific period – for example, in their last two years at school.

We’re a closing or merging school and we’ve been told we can use EDI funding once the final decision was gazetted to help our students and families with the changes. So are there rules about how much we can spend and on what, or is it up to us?

We expect all schools involved in the school reorganisation process will make professional, responsible and wise decisions about the use of funding, whether it is locally raised funding or Crown funding – operational or EDI.

EDI funding is to support the transition and to strengthen education in the newly merged or receiving schools. Most of the funding will be used by the newly merged or receiving schools. EDI funding can also be used to help students with the transition between their current school and their next school. Examples of what a closing or merging school may use EDI funding on include:

  • providing transport to, and light refreshments for, a shared event with the schools where their students are going to enrol next year
  • purchasing some additional support to help develop transition plans, including ensuring assessment data about student learning and achievement is up to date and complete prior to closure/merger
  • providing additional teacher aide time/relievers to take students to the various receiving schools for several afternoons in term four for buddy programmes
  • providing relievers so that teachers can be released in term four to spend some time with teachers in receiving schools or senior management in the newly merged school to develop and discuss transition plans for student learning and wellbeing.

The Board of a closing or merging school may want to signal how they would like EDI funding generated by its schools to be spent. This will be recorded in the EDI Memorandum of Agreement and within reason, the change manager/s and the Ministry will endeavour to make sure that this occurs.

If the Board of a closing/merging school would like to access its EDI funding for a transition project, they should talk with their specialist adviser about the approval required and the steps to be taken.

Before a school can access EDI funding a memorandum of agreement about its use must be signed with the Ministry.

Special Education

My child attends a satellite provision at a school which enables me to transport them to school each day. When this school merges and he/she has to change schools, will the Ministry arrange and pay for his/her transport?

The Special Education Transport Guidelines provide clarification around this and other special education transport queries.  The school will work with the Ministry regarding special education transport requirements and specific requests will be treated on a case by case basis. These guidelines can be found on the Ministry of Education website:

Can my child still go to a special school/satellite provision of a special school?

If your child is enrolled or planning to enrol at a special school, that option is still available to you. Whether or not a satellite placement is possible is a discussion between yourself and the special school Principal.

Will there still be special schools?

There is no plan for special schools to close. The Ministry acknowledges that in the Special Education Review in 2010 parents indicated they wanted the whole continuum of provision retained. This included special school provision.

My child receives an Outreach Service from a special school. Will this continue?

Yes it will continue. No change to delivery of this service is anticipated.

My child has been receiving lots of support from teacher aides. How do I know that support will still be there if I have to change schools?

In many cases teacher aide support is provided as part of the special education programme for students who are eligible for specialist support programmes, including those students accessing Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) funding. The support programme would be retained according to your child’s needs regardless of the school they attend.

Teacher aides are also funded by individual schools to provide support for a wider group of students. If that is the case for your child, you should talk with the Principals of the present and future schools about whether that support is likely to continue for your child after the change.

Will my child have access to the same specialist services, such as Resource Teacher Learning Behaviour (RTLB), if they have to change schools?

RTLB support will continue to be available for a child who moves to a new school.


Specialist programmes

How is students’ access to technology education being factored into this renewal programme?

In the short to medium term, plans have been developed to ensure continued access to technology for schools that are proposed to close or merge and currently offer a technology provision.

Four schools currently providing technology provisions for year 7 and 8 students are affected by the final decisions: Phillipstown School, Branston Intermediate, Linwood Intermediate and Manning Intermediate. These schools offer technology provisions for their own students as well as students from other schools.

It is proposed that provision will be maintained on the Phillipstown site and be managed by the Board and Principal of the newly merged  School, and the Branston Intermediate provision be maintained on the Branston site but managed by the Board and Principal of Hornby High School. All of these are short-term arrangements, whilst local schools work with the Ministry to develop longer-term plans for future technology provision. This will include considering alternative patterns of provision across greater Christchurch.

Technology provision currently offered at Linwood Intermediate School and Manning Intermediate School will be offered at Linwood College and Hillmorton High School, respectively, from the first term 2014.

Temporary classrooms will be provided where necessary to ensure appropriate classroom space is available.

Current provider

Provider following closures / mergers

Phillipstown School Phillipstown School site (managed by the newly merged Phillipstown / Woolston School)
Branston Intermediate School Branston Intermediate School site (managed by Hornby High School)
Linwood Intermediate Linwood College
Manning Intermediate Hillmorton High School

In the longer term, learning community clusters have been developed across greater Christchurch. These clusters consist of schools and early childhood providers in a geographical area. Clusters schools and ECE providers have been asked to work together, and with other education providers in their learning community cluster to develop provision that best meets the needs of the learners in the cluster. This may mean that the location of technology provision changes in the future.

How is students’ access to te reo Māori programmes being factored into this renewal programme?

The Ministry is already working on a longer-term strategy for Māori medium education across greater Christchurch.

The Ministry has developed plans to ensure that children in the five schools which offer provision of Māori medium education (Freeville and Woolston schools, and Branston, Linwood and Manning Intermediates) are able to continue enjoying this opportunity after changes.

The Waitaha Advisory Board-Mātauraka Mahaanui, the Māori medium cluster and Māori medium providers are considering how to expand the quality and quantity of Māori medium education and student’s access to te Reo Māori programmes across greater Christchurch and will be developing a greater Christchurch te reo Māori strategy.

What about Pasifika language programmes?

Where schools that currently offer Pasifika language programmes are affected by the final decisions the Ministry will work with the Pasifika Advisory Board, Boards of newly merged schools, other receiving schools, and learning community clusters in order to ensure current provision can be maintained and hopefully grown.

I enrolled my child at this school because it has such a good music programme.  How do I find another school that offers a similar programme?

Talk with the principal at your child’s school. They may be able to identify other schools with good music programmes where you could enrol your child (depending on eligibility). You could also ask other parents, inquire of other schools, check individual school’s websites, or look through various schools’ ERO reports which may refer to a school’s curriculum strengths (


International Students

What will happen to international students that are enrolled in one of the schools that are due to close or merge?

The Ministry will work with schools that have international students currently enrolled to ensure students and parents are made aware of the decision and the implications for students, the available options and what decisions they need to make. The Ministry will support students that transition to a new school.

What do Boards need to do to maintain or extend their signatory to the Code of Practice for Pastoral Care of International Students status?

Appointed boards and elected boards will need to work with the Code office to ensure they have the appropriate documentation approvals in place prior to enrolling international students.
Contact Sean Wheeler ( who will put you in touch with Code office person with responsibility to support this work.



If my ECE service is on a school site that will close or merge, when will we know what will happen to our service?

The Ministry has worked with five affected ECE providers to develop plans for continuation of their services.

The Ministry has agreed that the services on the Glenmoor, North New Brighton and Phillipstown sites will remain where they are.

The service on the Lyttelton West site will remain where it is if the site area permits.

The service on the Kendal School site only has a temporary lease, and Ministry officials are exploring long-term options for this service.

My children have to go to another school, how will they get to their new school?

School transport provision will be provided for children that meet the eligibility requirements. These requirements will be discussed as part of the merger or closure process so that all parents are clear about what they are eligible to receive and any changes to the current school bus routes as a result of the closure of the school.

If students are not eligible for school transport assistance, then parents need to ensure that they get safely to their new school. Further information about school transport is available at the Ministry website:

My school provides a very successful breakfast club programme run by caregiver volunteers. When the school merges, how do I know there will be something similar in my child’s new school?

You should talk with the Principal at your child’s new school – they may already have a programme or be planning to introduce one. You could also talk with the parent volunteers in the closing school about the possibility of developing a similar programme in the child’s new school.

What about the Kiwi Can programme which has been a big success in my child’s school. Will it exist in a new school?

You could talk with the Principals at your child’s current and future school about their plans to make this programme available.

What will happen to the school’s sports team when the school merges?

Talk to the principal of your child’s new school about sports and how newly enrolled children can participate.

My child has had access to after school activities and/or after school care? What will happen to this programme when this school merges?

You should talk to the principal or Board members of your child’s new school – if there is demand, the Board may be interested in establishing an out of school programme. Alternatively there may be community run programmes operating in your area – check with other parents.

My child has had access to after school activities and/or after school care? What will happen to this programme when this school merges?

You should talk to the principal or Board members of your child’s new school – if there is demand, the Board may be interested in establishing an out of school programme. Alternatively there may be community run programmes operating in your area – check with other parents.

We bought new school uniforms for our children last year and now their school is merging. We can’t afford to replace them.

No school is closing or merging until 2014 at the earliest. If you need to enrol your child in a different school, you should talk with the Principal and see what may be available.

Can we hold an event before the closure or merger?

Yes, this is a decision for the Board who may choose to, prior to the actual date of closure or merger, hold some sort of ceremony or event that recognises (with their community) the contribution the school has made over its life. The change manager can help advise Boards on what is fitting and appropriate.






Comments are closed.